|The following is the best information we have. More enquiry may reveal a somewhat different history.
The Viking was built for Bricky Grining c. 1910 in Strahan. She was a west coast piners’ workboat, used as a chaff lighter and for general purpose transport. The name is probably not original. Viking answers to the description of a boat called the Eva May which is known to have been active in the Macquarie Harbour region during the 1930’s. At some point she was taken to Burnie for use as a recreational fishing boat, and then about twenty years ago was brought down to Alonnah on Bruny Island. She fell into disuse/disrepair, and subsequently was acquired by the Living Boat Trust (by donation).
It is thought that Viking had at least two sister ships, of similar design but slightly larger. This design seems particular to Macquarie Harbour workboats. She has the same transom as a piners’ punt, and is clinker built with a straight stem planked in Huon pine. Gunnels are of King William pine.
At present Viking is awaiting restoration.